The Dos and Don’ts of Botox Aftercare
Botox is an injectable neuromodulator product that improves the appearance of crows’ feet, vertical frown lines, and many other facial wrinkles. This non-surgical minimally invasive treatment relaxes facial muscles in order to allow the overlying skin to lie flat and smooth.
The ease of administration of Botox and low chance of complications make it popular among people seeking a safe solution for their anti-wrinkle needs. More than seven million people received Botox treatments in 2018 alone.
The Dos of Botox Aftercare
- A small amount of bruising and swelling is common at the injection sites immediately after treatment. To address this, on and off use of an ice pack during the first hour after treatment may be helpful.
- Oral or topical arnica montana or Vitamin K cream may help accelerate healing of bruised skin after treatment.
- It is always best to apply sunscreen to prevent sun damage to your newly treated skin; this can be applied beginning four hours after treatment. A hat also works well to shield yourself from heavy sun exposure while the Botox is in its initial stages.
- Be patient while the Botox takes effect. While initial results may be evident in around three to four days, the full results will not appear until around ten to fourteen days from the date of treatment.
- Schedule a two week follow up appointment at our office to assess your results. It is possible that a small touch-up may be needed to achieve the best results and we can do that at this time.
The Don’ts of Botox Aftercare
- Botox can migrate to unintended areas if pressure is applied to the face immediately after treatment. To be safe, during the first four hours after treatment avoid unnecessary touching and do not massage the area.
- Make-up should not be applied until four hours after treatment.
- For the first four hours after treatment, do not engage in vigorous exercise or any other physically taxing activities like sports.
- Don’t lie down until around four hours after the treatment session, since lying down during this time can result in unintended migration.
- Avoid saunas, tanning beds, and heat lamps for the first 24 hours after treatment.
- Avoid facials, chemical peels, and micro needling treatments (or other facial aesthetic procedures) for 2 weeks after treatment.
- Don’t be afraid to contact our office immediately if you notice any unusual side effects.
Schedule a Consultation
Botox is an excellent way to smooth away fine age lines. To learn more about Botox treatment, schedule a consultation at Beach Aesthetics where you will receive expert care in a safe setting, with attention to your comfort. To schedule your consultation, contact our office at (310) 986-2906 today.